
Day 2 brought the Tampa Waterski Show on Saturday, August 21. I have always found waterskiing to be interesting, so when I came across this free event in TBT (the Tampa Bay Times), I was looking forward to checking it out. It rained earlier that day, so I wasn't sure if there would still be a show, but if there's one thing I've learned about Tampa, it's that these people don't stop any parade, picnic, festival, or show because it's raining.
The skies were clear and the weather was cool by the time I arrived for the show.........
Everything about the waterski show reminded me of a cross between a high school football game and an outdoor summer concert. As I drove in, I was directed by a traffic volunteer to park my car in a space I didn't want to park it in (turned out to be a better spot than the one I had my eye on anyway), and the parking lot was the very grassy spot where we would sit to enjoy the show. There were bleachers, concessions, and people even brought their own lawn chairs (and their dogs!). The crowd at the waterski show was a mix of kids and grandparents....and I am pretty sure I was one of very few 30 somethings. The older crowd looked as if they came to support their grandkids, and the younger crowd looked like a bunch of wannabe skiiers- as if their older siblings were the cool ones who were on the waterski team. Nonetheless, the people were very friendly, and some even gave me advice on the "best seats in the house".
I did mention that the weather was quite perfect, but we all know what comes after it rains and things get a bit muggy.............. tons of mosquitoes. I could hardly hold the camera still from trying to keep my legs moving away from the mosquitoes! The whole grassy surrounding made me wonder how those people could sit in lawn chairs to watch the show. I guess they were smart enough to bring bug spray.
The show was James Bond themed, but I didn't really get it. It could have been because I don't really care much about James Bond, or it could have been that I didn't need a theme to keep me interested in the show. The fact that they could do one lap without landing in the water was enough excitement for me!
I would definitely go to see the show again either by myself or with friends. Next time, I would maybe sit in the bleachers and chat with people. I would also bring money to buy concessions in order to support the team. After all, they did give us a free show.
Overall, a pretty cool way to spend a Saturday evening.
Summary:
Fav: the nice people
Least Fav: the mean mosquitoes
Advice: Bring bug spray and get there early to get a seat on the bleachers. Definitely something you can do on your own.
Found out about it: Through Tampa Bay Times (TBT)


Sounds like fun!
ReplyDelete