On Friday, October 29th, my twin came into town and I took her to the Hard Rock to meet a few of my friends. We arrived around 8:30p and were greeted with the usual casino vibe of smoke-filled rooms and loud music. One of my friends suggested the Council Oak Room of the casino, and it was a great recommendation. Away from all of the noise and "interesting" crowd, there sat a restaurant towards the back of the casino that had just the vibe we were looking for. Council Oak is a restaurant/bar and "grown" person's type of place to listen to live music, drink, and converse.
We ate some food that was just "okay" and enjoyed wine. The singer that night was named Monique and she did awesome renditions of Sade, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, and more. During a break in her performance, she came over to chat with us and told us her real name was Dominique, but for her Gospel album (which she was selling that night) she called herself Monique because she says that name is a bit more soft, quiet, and refined. I had to laugh at that because I definitely didn't agree!
After a couple of sets, "Monique" remembered that my name was Monique and called me out to help her sing. I think she was just joking though.
After we left Council Oak, we walked towards the front to go back to our cars, but not before stopping to see people getting the party started in a small area that I guess was a club of some sort. I haven't seen that kind of dancing in a while! It was like they thought they were at their prom from 30 years ago. VERY INTERESTING!
All in all, it was a cool way to start the weekend, but the cigarette smoke was way too much!



No comments:
Post a Comment