I originally moved to Florida back in 2008 to start work towards an Art degree (MA) at the University of South Florida. After taking some intro courses, I quickly realized that the path I had chosen was going to take me too long to complete. Through prior research, I thought it would have been best to have a strong art foundation before pursing graphic design, but that isn't necessarily the case. In those intro courses, I was learning everything that I had already taught myself in previous years! It was interesting, but not so much a waste of time. I learned new things, but most importantly, I learned that I had enough knowledge to pursue an MFA in Graphic Design.
"Heck....I can hang with the best of them", I told myself!
After about six months of research, I applied and was admitted to the Academy of Art in San Francisco. It was HIGHLY important to me to find an accredited program where top companies recruit and where top professionals mentor and teach. I was also very fortunate to find that this school had a complete online program and that my employer would reimburse a certain percentage. Perfect, huh?
I am currently in my 3rd semester, and I have about 2 years or so to go. It depends on if I take summer courses what my actual completion date will be. But, I am not worried about that right now, as I am completely wrapped up in my learning and connecting with other students. I can say that online studies is much harder than on campus studies, but I am a nerdy student who LOVES to do work outside of the classroom. I am very independent, and in undergrad I had a hard time physically going to class! I just wanted to tell the professors, "give me the syllabus and I'll reach out to you if I need anything"! I walked away with a 3.9 GPA in Philosophy, so I thought I would do well on my own in a Master's program that was completely online.
The hardest part about being online is not actually being online. It's being online AND being on the other side of the country....... away from my school. There is a TON of online support for me, but there is something to be said about being around like-minded individuals. Even if I lived in San Francisco, I believe I would still take courses online, but I would have the luxury of attending events, networking, and being completely immersed in design culture. There are also a ton of jobs available for students in San Fran, but I'm not quite so ready for that move just yet. :)
Thank goodness for the Online Student Groups on Facebook. The Academy has reached out to thousands of students, all over the world, to connect those online to other students online. Isn't that neat?
Way to go facebook! Another buck for Zuckerberg, huh? LOL
Anyway, there is a Florida online group that I have joined. In December, emails went out to the group announcing a "meetup" so students could meet other students. I was thrilled. They planned three meetups: Miami, Sarasota, and Orlando. I knew Miami and Orlando would bring larger crowds, but I had just gotten back from Miami, and Orlando's event was late on Sunday. So, I left work on a Friday and drove the short 45 mins to beautiful Sarasota (for the first time).
There was a good turnout, and I met some new peeps. I was the only graphic design student, but it was GREAT to share stories about similar experiences, and I actually gave great tips on succeeding online! Other students were in the schools of New Media, Architecture, Photography, and Fashion. With food, drinks, and camaraderie, I was glad I didn't miss out that night.
I mean, I only had plans to go to sleep!
In the weeks after, my new peeps and I started to make plans to get together again, and I even got feedback on my new website (if you haven't seen it, check it out: www.wix.com/PhearsCreative/Monique-Phears).
I'm making progress, I would say :)

No comments:
Post a Comment