Up Next...........

30 and some! I'm all done!



Wednesday, October 6, 2010

12- One Nation Rally




Ahhh! Washington D.C.!!!!


Through the One Nation Working Together organization, I marched on Washington for true hope and change. I went to DC last Friday with 3 friends and we had both an amazing and sleepless time. I was trying to finish my darn shoe project before I left, so by the time I went to bed early Sat morning, I had been up 22 hours straight. I wasn't a morning person at all on this trip!

We arrived Friday night around 11pm and hopped in a cab to NW DC to Howard Univ. to see if anything was going on. Nope- nothing! It was about 56 degrees and we came with our Tampa gear on. My 3 friends are sorority sisters, so the Howard visit meant a bit more since their sorority was founded on the campus.  At least they got to get the pictures they wanted out of that late night adventure.

Going to bed at 4am Saturday morning was followed 4 1/2 hours later by us waking up to go to the mall to buy boots, scarves, and coats! Well worth it. We were warm for the rest of the trip! Sleepy, but warm.

After the mall trip, we packed up and headed on the Metro into the city. At first, we got on the right train but headed in the wrong direction!  After the Washington Monument disappeared from our view, we kinda figured it out. We had to transfer to two different trains, and each transfer was accompanied by greater hoards of people. I won't say how I almost got into it with a lady with her double stroller because that would take away from the bigger picture, which is the March itself.

The purpose of the March was to promote a message of hope, not hate as we approach midterm elections. It has been said that these elections are more important than the Presidential election. This rally allowed people to speak out for jobs, justice, and education for all. It was really motivating to see like-minded people being focused on working together to push our country forward into the right direction.

We can all admit that we need change, but we cannot get this change if we do not get up, get out, and do something about it.

Please understand the issues and get out and vote. For more info, try this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2010
or
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,2023181,00.html

If those don't work, just google or wiki!


********


I have to say that although this event was not in Tampa (which was the point of this blog), I learned about this event through Tampa connections, and everything I've learned from this trip is being used to support my community service efforts in Tampa. 

********




Here are just a few of the tons of pics I took! Gotta love my new camera! Woo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment