Up Next...........

30 and some! I'm all done!



Sunday, September 19, 2010

Black Arts Heritage Festival

Community service and volunteer work has always played a significant role in my life. Whether on a small scale, like volunteering at a school event, or on a large scale, like building a home with Habitat for Humanity, I have enjoyed supporting others and helping out in the community. As I have grown into the "real world", I have found opportunities to volunteer my time that are sort out outside of the "normal" scope of volunteering that I've known in high school and college. 

Opportunities that have been laid out for me in the past have quite often been tutoring, mentoring, teaching, coaching, etc. Since I have been in Tampa, however, I have found that I like more "behind the scenes" work like organizing, planning, and designing. There is a great need for support behind the scenes. I enjoy that I am still doing a part to help out - even though I am not on the front lines. 

A friend of mine came across the Black Arts Heritage Festival event and brought it to my attention. The event is held in January (this will be the 11th year), and by helping with this event, I will meet other people like myself that are ready and willing to promote diversity and cultural sensitivity. There are plenty of areas that need help to get this festival rolling, but I have zeroed in on the marketing division. 

I did miss the actual meeting this past Monday (um, because of that project I had to work on- you know with all the photos), however, through email communication, I have learned that the team has been put together, the meetings are twice a month, and I am a part of the team that will be helping with the design work.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment