Hello all!
I just walked home from my new jazz dance class. Yes, I have been searching for a jazz dance class since I moved to Tampa, but all the studios were either for kids, had ballroom dancing only, or were located 25-30 minutes from my home. The last thing I want to do is go home after work then drive 30 minutes-or longer-in traffic.....no matter how badly I want to dance!
This new studio, called Joni Marie Dance Academy, is literally a block from my home. It is a very small studio that has only been open for 3 weeks. As a matter of fact, I am the only one that showed up tonight for the adult jazz class and it was SUPER AWESOME! I received one-on-one personal attention without the price of a private lesson. Yes! I scored sweetly today!
Joni informed me that people have been coming and she is trying out various days and times to see what works best. I told her I would be glad to be a student, as I used to take jazz dance a few years ago and LOVED it.
Have you ever had one of those moments where you just knew something was so right for you and you had been searching and hoping and praying and finally your moment had come?? Well, when she turned on the warm-up music and it was Michael Jackson's "Beat It"............I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. If you know me, you know how much I love my Michael. Then, she taught me dance moves to Lady Gaga's "Paparazzi". I really had to pinch myself on that one. I am goo-goo for Gaga!
After 15 minutes of toning with weights, tummy crunches, push-ups (yes, I slipped once...), and stretching my body in every angle, I spent the rest of the hour practicing turns and other moves I can't remember the name of.
Joni said she could tell I had taken dance before and that I was a born dancer. She was really impressed by how quickly I picked up the steps. I told her I had only taken a few classes, but dancing has always been at the top of my list of things to pursue intensely. I am, however, taking it one "kick ball change" at a time.
So, you can see I have found one thing that I will be keeping up with! Go T-A-M-P-A! (I guess)
**P.S. Apparently, I will be dancing like the silhouette above by the end of my classes Joni says!**
Summary:
Fav: the rockin' music!
Least Fav: I learned the moves so fast that we had to keep doing them over and over. She has to make up the rest of it for next week for me. I still loved it.
Advice: Um, maybe stretch everyday so your legs won't shake when you get to class!!!
Found out about it: Driving by on S. MacDill

No comments:
Post a Comment